These latest pieces from my MEMORIALISING disease project continue to explore the forms of viruses and bacteria but this time in a different way. I’ve called them QUARANTINE BOXES.
In these works I put small ceramic viruses and bacteria inside curious old boxes. To make the works even more eye catching I have decorated them with Cyanotype printed fabric or paper. Cyanotype is the first known photographic method so suits these largely ancient diseases.
Reading from the top left hand side:
- Black Death with a rat with a smoking gun
- Cholera with a breathing device
- HIV & AIDS with satirical cartoon about the crisis in Africa – and a disco glitter ball too
- Smallpox, although you can’t see it here, ceramic virus sewn into the side panels
- Tuberculosis with a textile and embroidered pair of lungs
- Influenza quarantine box